December 15, 2014

Lead Me, Guide Me



HOOOOOOLA FAMILIA. 

How is everyone?? I don´t have much time. And guess what?? I get to see you all next week! Welp those who want to see me. :) I`m super excited for Christmas. We are planning lots of fun things. I am going to surprise my companion with Cragun Stockings and gravy! Hopefully it doesn´t make her sick. :)

We also bought santa hats to go out contacting with next week. Not too creative, but hey, no hay plata.

We did make ourselves a christmas tree! Cutest thing ever! :)

And I set up my pesebre that Hermana Raquel gave me.

We´ve been a little inspired this week. :) And I have been studying just that... INSPIRATION. :)

True inspiration comes from the Holy Ghost and TRUE happiness comes from living the gospel.

"Let us be a happy people. The Lord´s plan is a plan of happiness."
        --President Gordon B. Hinckley

This week has been a happy week!! It´s been a little tough, but always happy. :) Especially when your companion is fun. I like her.

Except when we have zone meetings, we have to travel a million miles. like 3.5 hours and I want to DIEEEE. On our way home, the bus didn´t have air conditioning and I literally thought I was going to pass out of dehydration. ugh.

The bikes are killing my bum but we are loving getting around here and there so much faster!! Only my companion´s bike keeps breaking. We just laugh about it and ride on.

Or we walk if it´s really super broken.

I started reading my 12 days of Christmas that mom sent me last year. I got it in February and studied them throughout the year, but I decided to read them all again. I loved this story from this week!! :)

"I knew you would come"

Herman and I locked our general store and dragged ourselves home. It was 11:00 p.m., Christmas Eve of 1949. We were dog tired. We had sold almost all of our toys; and all of the layaways, except one package, had been picked up.

Usually we kept the store open until everything had been claimed. We wouldn't have waken up happy on Christmas knowing that some child's gift was still on the layaway shelf. But the person who had put a dollar down on that package never returned.

Early Christmas morning we and our twelve-year-old son, Tom, opened gifts. But I'll tell you, there was something humdrum about this Christmas. Tom was growing up; I missed his childish exuberance of past years.

As soon as breakfast was over Tom left to visit his friend next door. Herman mumbled, "I'm going back to sleep. There's nothing left to stay up for." So there I was alone, feeling let down.

And then it began. A strange, persistent urge. It seemed to be telling me to go to the store. I looked at the sleet and icy sidewalk outside.That's crazy, I said to myself. I tried dismissing the urge, but it wouldn't leave me alone. In fact, it was getting stronger. Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer, and I got dressed.

Outside, the wind cut right through me and the sleet stung my cheeks. I groped my way to the store, slipping and sliding. In front stood two boys, one about nine, and the other six. What in the world?

"See, I told you she would come!" the older boy said jubilantly. The younger one's face was wet with tears, but when he saw me, his sobbing stopped.

"What are you two doing out here?" I scolded, hurrying them into the store. "You should be at home on a day like this!" They were poorly dressed. They had no hats or gloves, and their shoes barely held together. I rubbed their icy hands, and got them up close to the heater.

"We've been waiting for you," replied the older boy. "My little brother Jimmy didn't get any Christmas." He touched Jimmy's shoulder. "We want to buy some skates. That's what he wants. We have these three dollars," he said, pulling the bills from his pocket.

I looked at the money. I looked at their expectant faces. And then I looked around the store. "I'm sorry," I said, "but we have no-" then my eye caught sight of the layaway shelf with its lone package. "Wait a minute," I told the boys. I walked over, picked up the package, unwrapped it and, miracle of miracles, there was a pair of skates!

Jimmy reached for them. Lord, let them be his size. And miracle added upon miracle, they were his size.

The older boy presented the dollars to me. "No," I told him, "I want you to have these skates, and I want you to use your money to get some gloves." The boys just blinked at first. Then their eyes became like saucers, and their grins stretched wide when they understood I was giving them the skates. What I saw in Jimmy's eyes was a blessing. It was pure joy, and it was beautiful. My spirits rose.

We walked out together, and as I locked the door, I turned to the older brother and said, "How did you know I would come?" I wasn't prepared for his reply. His gaze was steady, and he answered me softly. "I asked Jesus to send you."

The tingles in my spine weren't from the cold. God had planned this. As we waved good-bye, I turned home to a brighter Christmas.

~by Elizabeth King English~



This week, we struggled finding new investigators. Pray for us to find the star we need to follow, please?? :) I know that there are prepared people out here. Like Martin. He is the cutest thing. A little lost. But his mind is so brilliant. Martin is an orphan. He´s from Buenos Aires, but he lives here in the Radio. He has so much faith in God but he has passed through so much opposition that it´s difficult for him to put all of his confidence in anyone other than himself. But we will be working with him and praying for him always.

I love Hermana Kata. She is a member of about 4 years. She´s from Germany but was born in Paraguay but she lives in Argentina with her grandson who really is kind of a jerk and doesn´t help her at all. She has asthma and she smokes which is totally not good. I hate cigarettes. She also has horrible back problems and a partially broken leg. But she is just an angel. She is the perfect example (minus the smoking) Of perserverance. She works hard everyday and she testifies every time we visit that her daily studies and her daily prayers get her through each day. She loves her scriptures! And every day, she courageously faces her problems with faith.

"Of course we will face fear, experience ridicule, and meet opposition. Let us have the courage to defy the consensus, the courage to stand for PRINCIPLE. Courage, not compromise, brings the smile of God´s approval. Remember that all men have their fears, but those who face their fears with faith have courage as well." --President Thomas S. Monson

I also have been studying in Alma this week. 

I love the courage that he had as he spoke to the pueblo!! He just tells them how it is! He warned them about apostasy (Chapter 4) And he commanded them to repent! Oh how I wish sometimes I could do that without getting killed. Alma also teaches us about inspiration and learning by the spirit. 

 Alma 5: 45 And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things whereof I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety?

 46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit ofrevelation which is in me.

 47 And moreover, I say unto you that it has thus been revealed unto me, that the words which have been spoken by our fathers are true, even so according to the spirit of prophecy which is in me, which is also by the manifestation of the Spirit of God.

Another way we can strengthen our testimonies and come to KNOW the truth of the Gospel is by sharing what we believe! May we all strive to share our testimonies with all those around us. Don´t forget this week to SHARE THE GIFT.


What a gift it is to be a missionary. Thank you for all of your love, prayers, emails and support. I love this work. I love my Father in Heaven and I love my Savior.

Love, Hermana Rupe









The camera is still broken. We´re taking pictures with my companion´s camera, don´t worry. 

We learned how to squeeze the honey out of a beehive!! AND I MADE ZUCCHINI BREAD. mmmmm.

I earned little Alexis´ heart on his birthday with a customized secret handshake. That was definitely a highlight this week. 

I have got to get out of this cyber. These freaking kids playing video games ate something horrible and they are full of gasses. I might pass out. 

The church is true!! Love you.

No comments: